Dr. Shapiro examining a butterfly host plant in front of Volcan Maipo, on the Argentine-Chilean border. (A. Shapiro)
Postdoc Associate Membership > How to Apply, Continued Membership, and Membership Termination
The participation of postdoctoral researchers greatly enriches our research and training mission. There is great value in the exchange of ideas and experiences between our postdocs and graduate student affiliates. To this end, we ask postdocs considering CPB membership to enter with the spirit of intellectual exchange with our graduate student affiliates and participation throughout the year in our various seminars, workshops, and outreach activities.
Candidates for membership must be brought to the attention of the CPB Steering Committee by a current faculty member of the CPB (hereafter faculty sponsor). Candidates may not self-nominate. Nominations are accepted year round and voted upon only during the academic calendar (October - June).
Candidates are required to submit a complete dossier, which contains:
- a current CV and statement of research interests.
- a brief introduction by the candidate explaining why he/she wants to be an Associate.
- a short nomination letter from your sponsoring faculty. (Note: Faculty may submit the nomination separate from the application packet if so desired.)
- please submit the requested materials in either Word or PDF format to the CPB administrative assistant.
- CPB Steering Committee: When in receipt of the application packet, the CPB Steering Committee will vote on whether or not to grant postdoctoral associate membership status. A positive two-thirds majority vote is required to achieve membership status.
- Candidates will be notified via e-mail of their status.
- Annual Review: Associate membership is reviewed on an annual basis. During the review, Associates will be asked to describe their participation in CPB activies during the prior year.
- Participation: The measure of participation is described as (but not limited to) attending the weekly Tuesday CPB Seminar Series, presenting a seminar, and participation in our Visiting Scholar workshops, committee membership, Monte Carlo seminars, and field trips.
Termination of Membership
Associate membership will be reviewed each year, at which time Associate members wil be sent a form that allows them to catalog their contributions to the CPB over the preceding year. The form also asks if they wish to continue their membership in the CPB. The review will give them a convenient opportunity to drop their membership and advise the administration of a pending departure into the next phase of their Ph.D.
Other members may be dropped for not completing the requirements for continued membership as outlined above in "Continued Membership".